Friday, March 18, 2011

overcome.

In my Book of Mormon class, we are given assignments every three weeks or so to respond to one of two assigned topics.  We choose a scripture or a passage of scripture to use, explain, and apply to our lives.  This week's subject was "overcoming trial or hardship"...I found this assignment to be perfectly timed with what's been going on in my life, and I found it very helpful to do this assignment this week.


What I responded was the following:


1) When given this topic I recalled a very comforting passage of scripture from the Doctrine and Covenants (58:2-4) that says that those who keep the commandments and are faithful in tribulation will receive great rewards in the kingdom of heaven.


2) These scriptures were given as a revelation through Joseph Smith at a religious service for those who wanted to know the will of God.  Life in those days was not easy, and it would make perfect sense that the recent converts to the church needed to hear these words to reassure them that the incredible lifestyle change they were making by joining the church was the right decision, and that all that they were enduring or were sure to endure in the future would all be worth it in the end. 


3) "For after much tribulation come the blessings...the hour is not yet, but is nigh at hand" (D&C 52:4) This is by far my favorite line from the selection I chose to discuss.  So often we wonder why things are happening to us, why we were given a specific trial, or why we must endure our given circumstances.  There seems to be no point, no reason for our struggling and despair.  The Lord has promised us that when we make it to the other side of our trial and remain faithful throughout, that we will receive blessings and become much better, stronger, and wiser people as a result.  The Lord never breaks His promises.  He also wants us to receive these blessings and see us come out on top.  He has given us the tools we need to make it through our trials, and He wants to see us put these tools to use.  Through prayer and faith on the Lord we can make it through anything and receive the blessings He has in store for us.




....it's time to be happy.




On a different note, I officially have 6% saved of what I need to go to Paris! Now what I need is a job...


If anybody has any connections whatsoever to a well-paying job that I could take just for the summer, I will love you forever.  Preferably some sort of clerical or secretarial or primarily sit-down job, I'm not really supposed to stand for very long. (I do in fact, have a legitimate medical reason...my poor knee would hate me standing 6 hours straight again this summer) However, If that is all that's available, I will take it! Any help at all would be so much appreciated!


In parting,


bonne nuit and much love, B

No comments: