Monday, August 13, 2012

Summer Lesson 2

It looks like this series is turning into a more once-a-week sort of thing.

But I'm back with another part of my summer lessons learned.

Although, this one's sort of a part 2 of part 1....

I promise, if there's something I'm good at, it's taking something I said I was going to do and then complicating it 872988234 times more than necessary.

But anyway.  I am on summer vacation with my beloved family in the beautiful Rocky Mountains in Colorado, and it struck me that even though I just finished school (straight A's for summer, woop woop!), school is actually about to start again for all of us!

So I asked my sisters about some everyday goals they could try and meet this coming year.
Shelby (senior in high school) said, "Go to bed early to be well rested for early-morning seminary"
Karrin (8th grade) said, "Maintain an A+ average"
Aren't these some great goals?

Here's mine:
Last time, I talked about my new healthy lifestyle that I am LOVING
and here, I'm going give examples of how I plan to continue putting this into action during my
busy busy schedule this fall!

I mentioned how I am trying to severely cut back on meat and dairy?
Here are some delicious looking recipes I found that are going straight on the to-do list!

Mexican Caviar 
I love this cute girl's style blog.  This delicious looking recipe has some of the greatest things! Avocado, cilantro, black eyed peas, tomatoes, corn, lime juice.....the list goes on and on!

Sweet Chili Lime Tofu with Wok Steamed Collards and Quinoa
I mean, enough said right?


 Coconut oil Granola
I'm definitely jumping on the coconut oil bandwagon! SUCH an amazing substitute for butter and ingredients with unnecessary kinds of fats (and adds an awesome sweet coconut kick!) This particular recipe has so many amazing things I can't even begin to describe it-seeds, berries, and spices that are all sure to mix together to create the best breakfast ever!

 Vegan Detox Green Smoothie
My mom really got me into green smoothies when I lived at home this summer, and I am either crossing my fingers that a new roommate moves in with a blender, or I'll fork out the dough for one of my own.  This website has several really healthy and delicious looking (and suuuuuper simple!) new smoothies to try! But this particular one is first on the list for sure.

I've always been a fan of flavored waters, and this picture is just giving me really great ideas for some more healthy and refreshing thirst quenchers!
(found on pinterest)

Baked Quinoa and Oatmeal Breakfast Bars
Being in such a hurry in the morning, I am always on the lookout for healthy breakfast ideas.  I have become a bit of a quinoa junkie this summer, and this, combined with delicious berries, rolled oats, walnuts and sea salt....it honestly looks irresistable.

 Strawberry Mango Basil Salsa
I got positively hooked on mango salsa last year when I tried this incredible recipe, and I am super stoked to try a variation that includes strawberries! This blog also gives a link to a super delicious looking recipe for kiwi mango salsa! The opportunities are endless!

And last but not least, a must-do before summer leaves us behind completely....
Gourmet Vegan Popsicles
This website gives 5 recipes for popsicles that only use vegan or natural ingredients, including one made from Nutella and another that uses Chia seeds! So how about a perfect way to turn your tongue purple before the end of the summer without the guilt or the sugar-induced stomach ache? Awesome! Sign me up!

Well there you have it, folks! Are you as excited as I am to turn over a new leaf and indulge yourselves in the most delicious food and ingredients out there and be healthy at the same time?!

If you have any other similar recipes, don't be shy! Let me know, I'd sure love to hear!

Back with a summer lesson of an entirely different sort very soon!

All my love, B.

3 comments:

bonbon said...

You look different in all of your pictures! It's crazy! Every picture I see of you you look gorgeous but like someone totally different. That's a compliment.

I am going to have to seriously give some of that flavored water a try. It looks amazing!

Anonymous said...

I love this! I have nominated you for a Liebster Award. Check it out!

Anonymous said...

Oops forgot the link! :)


Liebster Award