Saturday, November 3, 2012

Mommy dearest

Sorry for my recent absence, but not that sorry...
because I was spending time with one of the most fantastic ladies I know.

Let's take a trip down memory lane, shall we?
Epcot center, age 15
Front lawn, graduation day, age 17
NYC, age 18
Today Show, NYC, age 18
Bluebonnets, aka my favorite picture of all time, age....I don't know.  Young.
(apologies for the color quality of some of these...all were taken long before my photo editing days)

I'll be the first to admit that it took a very long time...MUCH much longer than it should have for the relationship between my mother and I to be where it is now.  

I know that there will always be a few things here and there that we'll never agree upon, but as I've grown up I've come to realize something that I never let myself admit during my angsty, teenage years...

My mother is my greatest role model.

She gave up her entire life for her children, to raise them and love them the best way she knows how, and she's doing a top-notch job. I know that everything good that I am came from her, and when I have my own family, I'll be able to emulate all the things I love about her and add my own personal touches to how I will raise my children.

So, last weekend, I had the grand opportunity to to take her to some of my favorite places in Salt Lake, like eating at The Pie Pizzeria and taking her to see City Creek Center.  The next morning we went down to Payson to visit the cute Red Barn, who grows their own produce and makes their own ice cream and sells cute gifts :)

On that note, behold: The ONLY surviving picture of her trip:

We're cute.  I know.

Anyway, we ran lots of errands and finally, after working so hard and losing so much sleep, I let myself just get full on sick.  And it felt great to have my mommy there to take care of me.

Sunday, we had church together and then invited all the cousins over to my grandparents' house for dinner and catching up.

I've said goodbye to my mother dozens of times since moving out, and I'm always kind of just like, "Ok, see you next time, bye!"

But this time....I cried.  Oh, I cried so hard.  It broke my heart right in half driving away from where I left her at my grandparents' house, knowing that she would be in the state another twelve hours before her flight and because of class and work I wouldn't be able to spend any more last minutes with her.  

I cried when she hugged me goodbye and didn't want to let me go, and I didn't want to let go either.

I cried when she told me how proud she was of me and how far I've come and that she knew that eventually everything would be okay.

I cried when she took my hand, kissed it, set it on my cheek, and then leaned in to kiss my other cheek, just like she does to my baby brother.

I cried feeling like her baby again, especially after having pretended that I'm a grown-up for so long.

Good grief, I'm crying now thinking about it. 

42 days.

Sometimes your mom really is the only person that can fix it.

I love you, B.

7 comments:

Ashley said...

Could you possibly be any more darling????? This post and these pictures are my favorite thing ever. I'm still so glad you got to see your mama.

Whitney said...

I know exactly what you mean. :( I haven't seen my parents for almost 11 months and it's killing me. My mom had major surgery on Monday and I'm not able to be with her. It sucks. Only 17 days until I see them again!

Unknown said...

Being away from your parents (especially your mom) is one of the hardest things ever... But, when you get to see them again- it is heaven on earth. Nothing is better. Loved this post! xo

Heidi's Wanderings said...

This is a great post. I'm so glad that you got to spend time with your mom over the weekend.

http://heidiswanderings.blogspot.com/

Denise Lopatka said...

how sweet is this! so glad you got some time with your mama

Sara said...

How absolutely precious! I love the relationship between you and your mom. Definition of how every relationship between mother and daughter should be. ;)

Unknown said...

This is so sweet. I had the same struggle with my mom to form a good, close relationship but now its amazing! Thanks for sharing! Also, check out my latest post if you want to participate in the Liebster award that's waiting for you! :) xo